MintJulie · 255

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1794/-23
  • Madame Sheriff
on: September 07, 2023, 02:55:35 AM
The Oxford English Dictionary (OED – 2nd edition, 1989) defines the phrase tennis, anyone?, also anyone for tennis?, who’s for tennis?, etc., as follows:
a typical entrance or exit line given to a young man in a superficial drawing-room comedy, used attributively of (someone or something reminiscent of) this kind of comedy. Also in extended uses.

I was too lazy to look for a Tennis topic past page 3.  I'll merge it his if I come across one when I'm not being too lazy. 

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 03:09:34 AM
Ben Shelton

We took a boat ride on Saturday to a pub type bar on the lake. I always take a seat facing a TV.  Mainly because I can't really carry on a conversation. Well, I'm not a tennis fan, but on the tv was the match of 20 year old American Ben Shelton playing at the US Open.    OMG, I was cheering for this kid.
He ended up winning, which I didn't find out until later because we left.  Then he won again last night. 

Friday he plays in the semi finals.  I am setting a reminder to watch. 
I think I might even add his name to my signature. Hmm, But then I'll have to scratch one of the other three.  What to do, what to do..

Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 11:12:05 PM
Djokovic up two sets to none

Come on Ben!  You can still do it.

Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 12:07:33 AM
:(.  It was a good match, but Ben was defeated.  Such a bright future.  I'm going to be a fan for a while. 

After watching that, I'm ready to hit the court.  The pickle ball court though. 

Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline MintJulie

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 02:43:56 AM
From USA Today

American teen Coco Gauff wins US Open women's final for first Grand Slam title

It was merely a matter of time before Coco Gauff won a Grand Slam title. But six weeks ago, nobody — including the 19-year old Gauff herself — would have imagined it would happen at this US Open.

Coming off one of the low points in her young career following a first-round exit at Wimbledon, Gauff hired a new coaching team and started the hard court season with low expectations. But after winning 18 of 19 matches, including the seven that mattered most at this tournament, she is now forever a major champion.

So happy for her.  Wish I had seen it. 

Version 9.15
POY 2016