MintJulie · 286

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1794/-23
  • Madame Sheriff
on: June 07, 2024, 02:53:32 AM
I live in a city with a large population of people from India and other countries that follow the sport of Cricket, religiously. On the weekends, at our local high school, there are games being played by fans of the sport. 

Today was a historic day for US Cricket.  And the fans in my neighborhood were very loud earlier this afternoon and they are still carrying on as I type this.  So fun. 

The headline and story from SB Nation

USA stuns Pakistan in Cricket World Cup, one of the biggest upsets in sport’s history

There is absolutely no planet in which the USA should be able to contend with Pakistan in cricket, let alone win — but the impossible became reality in Dallas on Thursday afternoon. It came thanks to Aaron Jones of Queens, New York who stood tall in the Super Over to post a score of 19, leading to a five run win.

The day began with Pakistan at the crease batting, and their order was shattered early. Three wickets fell in the first two overs, setting the tone for much of their innings. There were flashes of brilliance, but nothing truly consistent — ultimately setting the chase at 159 runs after 20 overs.

While 159 is hardly a big score in international cricket, it was unclear whether the United States had the batting to get past a heralded Pakistan attack that includes its big four bowlers of Shaheen Afridi, Mohammad Amir, Naseem Shah and Haris Rauf. Those questions were answered fairly quickly as U.S. captain Monank Patel and Andries Gous formed a steady partnership that saw Gous finish with 35 runs off 26 balls before being bowled, while Patel finished with a match-high 50 runs.

Then it became the Aaron Jones show.

Jones, being the biggest bat for USA left in the lineup, understood the need for a serious outing and he provided, scoring 36 runs off 25 balls — including two fours and sixes. Clutch plays just kept coming from Jones, and when it appeared that the United States would fail their chase, he came through with a clutch six in the final over to make everything about the final ball. From here USA’s Nitish Kumar scored a stunning four on the final ball to send the game to the Super Over, and the rest is history.

It cannot be overstated just how dramatic this victory for the USA was. Prior to the game win probability gave them less than a 1 percent chance of beating Pakistan, and even when the game looked firmly in USA’s hand, still gave Pakistan a 67 percent chance of winning based on their talent. This is one of the biggest upsets in this history of international cricket, and one of the biggest embarrassments Pakistan has ever had.

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1344/-3
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2024, 03:29:10 AM
Ok...as someone who has always considered Cricket the most boring field game ever.

Wow 😲 That's huge. I never knew that the United States had a Cricket team. But as I said I never paid much attention to Cricket.

Congratulations and sticky wickets to our USA team.

Thanks and WOO to Jules for informing us about this.

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1794/-23
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2024, 05:08:11 AM

Confession.  I had not read the article that I copy and pasted above.  Well, I just did.  I don't understand one thing in the article.  Hahaha

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline Dirtymind

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +135/-1
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2024, 07:12:46 PM
That's quite the upset. Although, given the level of sports betting in cricket, I would hesitate before crowning the US next world champs  ;D