Offline Grm

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +456/-117
  • Goodbye KB
Reply #80 on: September 13, 2011, 12:14:21 PM
One for the boys:
I'm working my way through this series:
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/julian-stockwin/kydd.htm
Reading these you can almost smell the salt water, Quarterdeck has some well researched
fiction on the birth of the United States navy.

Offline bigjake59

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +6/-0
Reply #81 on: September 13, 2011, 03:31:51 PM
Currently re-reading Caleb Carr's "The Angel of Darkness"
http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1178167734l/767307.jpg

I read both "The Alienist" and "The Angel of Darkness" when they first came out, and I recently re-read them. They're both enthralling books!

I agree wholeheartedly!  Hopefully Carr gets around to picking up the series again someday.

Offline Lokilos

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +2/-0
Reply #82 on: September 14, 2011, 02:49:40 PM
Just finished 3 of Heinlein's books: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Stranger in a Strange Land, and Starship Troopers. Now I'm reading the second Cardcaptors Sakura omnibus.

Offline Latewoodda

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +10/-0
Reply #83 on: September 22, 2011, 04:28:06 PM
I'm slowly working my way through Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon.

I can't decide if I like it or not.  He's got a style that I'm really not used to.

"Most people work around their psychological demons, we harness ours up and take them out for a ride."

Janus

Reply #84 on: December 09, 2011, 11:55:21 PM
Currently, I am reading a book by Nelson Demille called "The Gold Coast"

Demille is the same author who wrote the story and screen play for "The General's Daughter" Starring John Travolta.

I've read many of Demille's works and I find them very enjoyable.

Janus

Janus

Reply #85 on: December 10, 2011, 01:47:13 AM
GB, If your age is accurate, then you were not even born when I read Dune. As a matter of fact, I think you were not born when the movie came out.....You'll find Dune to be a very good read. Enjoy it.....

Janus

Janus

Reply #86 on: December 10, 2011, 04:20:34 AM
Dune the movie  may not have reached classic standards. Sting didn't do a bad job with his character either. The movie was entertaining with top of the line special effects for the era. The book is without question better. Which seems to be the case 99% of the time . Enjoy...

Janus

Offline Grm

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +456/-117
  • Goodbye KB
Reply #87 on: February 07, 2012, 06:10:44 PM
I don't know how it is with you, but I always have a book by my bed, actually they are everywhere, one tucked into the door pocket of my car door, my backpack and of course the premier place to read, the loo. Just like writing we all have our own reading styles, Suzy, my wife, will read book after book, crime and the morgue are her sort of thing, once she has read a book, that's it, she will almost never read it again. Whereas I keep my favourite books on the bookcase and will go back to them many times over the years.
So what is by your bedside right now, tell us if its good or not so good, just share it with us, because a book shared leaves us all richer.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:08:55 AM by Grm »

Offline T.G.

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +41/-2
Reply #88 on: February 07, 2012, 06:30:26 PM
The books I've been chipping away at for months are a series titled "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" by Edward Gibbons. It makes for interesting but exhausting reading.

For lighter reading, I am currently working on a visual novel titled "True Remembrance" by Shiba Satomi (and localized in English by Seung Park and Edward Keyes) which is a free, completely legal download from http://trueremembrance.insani.org/get.html

Women should not be afraid to express their sexuality.

Offline GEMINIGUY

• "I'm Rockin' My Life Away..."
  • GG
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +508/-59
Reply #89 on: February 07, 2012, 10:01:22 PM
I'm always reading something, in the bathroom, too, like the boss [that was a habit a picked up from my father, he'd grab the paper and spend an hour in there], lol I'm reading a vampire novel now, one i've read probably four times already. I love to re-read all my books.

"If it's good enough for the Gemini Guys
Then it's good enough for me" - Adam Ant

Offline T.G.

• Total freak
Reply #90 on: February 08, 2012, 12:35:59 PM
For anyone even remotely curious about visual novels, I've just been completely blown away by the ending of "True Remembrance" (see my previous post for a link to a free, legal copy). I'll have to read through it again once I calm down. The ending really did something to me and I just had to say something about it!

It amazes me how I've gone on this long without picking up such an incredible piece of literature! I rarely want to re-read something once I've finished with it, but it seems to me that there is so much more I can get out of this story now that I know all of the facts.

Mood after reading: Excited, but somber.

P.S. It bears mentioning that this is not an adult novel, and that the story is romantic in nature. There are also no decisions involved, thus it is actually a "kinetic novel" for those savvy with the terminology. It reads very much like a book, but is aided with appropriate music and visuals.

Offline DC2424

• Degenerate
    • Woos/Boos: +10/-0
Reply #91 on: February 08, 2012, 11:54:33 PM
You can count visual novels on here now?

I haven't posted in a long time but after a few more Heinlein novels (a total of 8 now!) I'm currently reading For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway. Hell, I decided to start making wishlists and even made a GoodReads account to keep track of everything and get recommendations.

But if we can count visual novels now too, I have also been reading/playing (slowly) Katawa Shoujo. A visual novel where you as the main character have a heart attack at the ripe ol' age of 17 and sent to a special school filled with children with disabilities. I like it. I've only played through three girls, started a fourth and have a strong preference of the "best." Can't wait to finish it.

My love is of a birth as rare
As ‘tis for object strange and high:
It was begotten by Despair
Upon Impossibility.

Offline T.G.

• Total freak
Reply #92 on: February 09, 2012, 01:30:38 AM
I can't see why anything of literary value should be discounted, so yes, I would encourage people to discuss alternative forms of literature as well. It would also be nice to remove some of the stigma attached to visual novels because of publishers like Zyx who create horrible content and manage to sell it with sex.

Offline emi

• Degenerate
    • Woos/Boos: +14/-0
Reply #93 on: February 09, 2012, 07:23:27 AM
Re-reading The Gilded Chamber by Rebecca Khon.

Its an historical fiction novel of the tale of Esther from the bible told from her perspective~

Athos131

Reply #94 on: March 07, 2012, 01:15:54 PM
Tom Clancy - Dead or Alive

David McCullough - The Great Bridge

Offline daddybrock32

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +5/-0
Reply #95 on: April 03, 2012, 09:23:23 PM
Rereading A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. Great book.

TinyDancer

Reply #96 on: April 12, 2012, 09:20:51 PM
I have gotten a book by Jane Middelton-Moz called Shame & Guilt: Masters of Disguise.  It deals with overcoming childhood issues.  It's long past time for me to get all this sorted out, am hoping this will help or at least point me in the right direction before I just go completely bonkers.

Janus

Reply #97 on: May 02, 2012, 05:55:52 PM
Currently I'm reading a Tom Clancy book called "Locked On".

It has Jack Ryans son as a main character and I'm finding it quite a good read..

Go Clancy....I read his first ten novels and then lost interest when I picked up his "Op-Center" series. Didn't do anything for me.

When I finish this book I'm going to try to read a Baldacci book called "The Winner".

It started real slow and then I lost interest. A good friend of mine told me to push through the first few chapters because it gets REALLY good...So I'll hit that next...

Janus

Offline kinkyangel

• Degenerate
    • Woos/Boos: +55/-0
Reply #98 on: May 04, 2012, 09:26:04 PM
I have about four series on the go. I love it when the story continues on. Right now I'm into the Pay-Changeling series by Nalini Singh (paranormal romance)- good mystery and always sexy with fantasy worthy characters.  Reading is my escape from mommy time and responsibility so I tend to keep it easy and fun these days. I used to be a big Dean Koontz fan. My other faves are the dark hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon and the blackdagger brotherhood series by J. R. Ward. Oh! And the Sookie Stackhouse series
- the books that True Blood is very loosely based on.
Next I'm going to try out the hunger games trilogy and the Game of Thrones series - I love the show and well, the books are always better ;)

Offline Gina Marie

• So fucking done with it all.
  • Global Moderator
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1376/-70
  • Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated
Reply #99 on: May 04, 2012, 10:06:19 PM
YAY Kinky! I'm almost done with Game of Thrones... moving on to A Clash of Kings this weekend!