KRISTEN'S BOARD
Please consult your physician prior to participating on this message board.

News:

Holidays Blog

GEMINIGUY · 3771

Offline GEMINIGUY

• "I'm Rockin' My Life Away..."
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 06:25:10 AM
                  ***March 27th***
                      Easter (con't)

"Among the most familiar of these superstions is the idea that the sun dances as it appears on Easter morning to celebrate Christ's resurrection. If looked through a darkened lens, it is said on Easter morning the sun bears the imprint of a lamb and flag, two images  which have symbolic associations in Christian mythology.
This is not the only weather myth connected with the day, however, for it is also claimed that a wind that blows on Easter Day will continue to blow throughout the year, while a shower of rain that day promises a good crop of grass, but little hay."

"If it's good enough for the Gemini Guys
Then it's good enough for me" - Adam Ant

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #31 on: March 28, 2013, 03:03:34 PM
                   ***March 28th***
                        Good Friday

"As one of the most sacred days in the christian calendars, Good Friday is associated with many superstitions throughout the Christian world. It is in fact a day of mixed blessings. Any baby born on Good Friday is to be pitied as this is unlucky, according to the Welsh, but it is conversely a good day to wean  an infant because he or she will grow up healthy and prosperous.
Crops should not be planted on Good Friday (though it is all right to sow garden seeds) as the ground should not be disturbed on this day, and nobody should attempt to do any washing as the clothes will never come clean (a reference to the legend Christ cursed Good Friday washing after he was slapped in the face by a wet garment while being led to the Crucifixion).
Blacksmiths, mindful of Christ's suffering on the Cross, may decline to hammer nails on this day; likewise children tempted to climb trees are warned not to do so.

TinyDancer

Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 04:42:36 PM
Very interesting GG.  I wonder why tree climbing is prohibited.

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 06:25:00 AM
                   ***March 29th***
                   Good friday (con't)

On the whole, in fact, work of any kind

is not a good idea as it will only have to be done again all over, according to the inhabitants of Norfolk.
Wishes made in prayers said at the stroke of three o'clock in the afternoon, the hour of Christ's death, are sure to be granted.
Bread and buns baked on Good Friday will never go moldy - as is the case with Good Friday eggs - and have beneficial healing properties if fed to those suffering from whooping cough and other ailments. In past centuries, indeed, well-cooked Good Friday bread was kept for many years, a little of it being grated off and administered to the sick as necessary. A hot cross bun kept over from one Good Friday to the next, meanwhile, will prevent the house from catching fire.

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 06:28:18 AM
Sundry other Good Friday traditions include the notion that boys who wear long trousers for the first time on this day will have happy marriages, and that this day is the one time in the year when bees may be taken from their hives without causing them harm."

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #35 on: March 30, 2013, 12:39:36 PM
                   ***March 30th***
                       Easter (con't)

"Most people know the old custom of wearing new clothes on Easter Day, or at least the tradition of the 'Easter bonnet'. This practice originated in the habit of wearing the same clothes throughout Lent, finally discarding them for a new set on Easter Day itself. Those who do not wear at least one new item of clothing on Easter Day risk their existing clothing being spoiled by birds or, worse, being spat on by passing dogs or having their eyes pecked out by crows."

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 12:14:32 AM
                     ***March 31st***
                         Easter (con't)

"Children born on Easter Day are deemed especially fortunate, and holy water saved from Easter service is said to be particularly effective as a cure for a wide range of physical ills.
Less well-known is an ancient German superstition that rabbits lay eggs on Easter Day (hence the widely recognised figure of the Easter Bunny).
The chocolate Easter eggs of modern  times, incidentally, hark back to the hard-boiled eggs that used to be dyed red in memory of Christ's blood and were given to children in former times to preserve their health over the ensuing twelve months.
The egg imagery is further passed down to the present time through the various egg-rolling rituals and egg-hunting games still carried out in many rural areas; all were originally meant to ensure good fortune in the coming months."

HAPPY EASTER, fellow KBers!!!!!

Janus

Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 12:28:35 AM
Thank you GG.....This was very well laid out......I kind of figured there was pagan shit in there somewhere.

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 02:31:55 AM
You're welcome. I may pop up from time-to-time with more holiday superstition tidbits as i find them.

TinyDancer

Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 03:29:54 PM
Another great blog on all the superstitions that surround holidays....thanks for the effort you put into sharing with the board GG.

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #40 on: April 01, 2013, 03:47:34 PM
You're welcome, TD! I love sharing things i'm interested in.