The mindless anti-Christian meme thread

UmmOkay · 61208

Offline Fish

• Stranger Than Fiction
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +260/-2
  • A taste is a waste of time.
Reply #120 on: May 28, 2013, 04:11:12 PM
Um and TD, you both get big woos for those. Love you both!

Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff.

Offline UmmOkay

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +53/-0
Reply #121 on: May 29, 2013, 07:35:46 AM

WOO! (btw - that makes 50 for you)

I didn't even realize, thanks! I guess I go for quality not quantity as 20% of my posts are wooed haha

Let's jump down the Rabbit Hole

TinyDancer

Reply #122 on: May 29, 2013, 01:24:09 PM

Offline Fish

• Stranger Than Fiction
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #123 on: May 29, 2013, 06:18:28 PM
I love it, good one, Toe.

Offline Fish

• Stranger Than Fiction
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #124 on: May 30, 2013, 04:16:35 AM
...or just inspired by God's moody, greedy, bipolar, paranoid schizophrenic, homicidal, vindictive side.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #125 on: May 30, 2013, 04:54:47 AM
The Gods all display the worst traits of mankind. Just as we created them.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #126 on: May 30, 2013, 06:45:50 AM
In all the myths of creation, and the myths if the major pantheons, when do you read of a God expending their power and strength struggling for another? Where did they perform a self-sacrifice to save others? What God has done that?

Only mortals do that. The Gods are vain, self-centered, arrogant, petty, vindictive.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

TinyDancer

Reply #127 on: May 30, 2013, 12:39:21 PM

Janus

Reply #128 on: May 30, 2013, 12:54:58 PM
In all the myths of creation, and the myths if the major pantheons, when do you read of a God expending their power and strength struggling for another? Where did they perform a self-sacrifice to save others? What God has done that?

Only mortals do that. The Gods are vain, self-centered, arrogant, petty, vindictive.

Well he did give his only begotten Son.

TinyDancer

Reply #129 on: May 30, 2013, 03:17:45 PM

Offline Fish

• Stranger Than Fiction
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #130 on: May 30, 2013, 03:32:26 PM

If you have the power to split your identity into as many parts as you see fit, as well as resurrect ad infinitum, then it is a mediocre sacrifice.

TD, that cracked me up so good, I needed that today.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3071/-41
Reply #131 on: May 30, 2013, 04:58:01 PM

I'm hardly an expert, but it's my impression that the entire point of Christianity is that God did precisely that...

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline Fish

• Stranger Than Fiction
  • Freakishly Strange
Reply #132 on: May 30, 2013, 05:00:11 PM
Mediocre sacrifice. God lost a clone for three days.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #133 on: May 30, 2013, 05:01:02 PM

careful now, are we talking about the mortal? Or are we talking about the usurper to the One God?

Janus

Reply #134 on: May 30, 2013, 05:01:42 PM

If you have the power to split your identity into as many parts as you see fit, as well as resurrect ad infinitum, then it is a mediocre sacrifice.

TD, that cracked me up so good, I needed that today.

Everything is easy when you're GOD......Kind of why they call it GOD....

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #135 on: May 30, 2013, 05:10:16 PM

I'm hardly an expert, but it's my impression that the entire point of Christianity is that God did precisely that...

not really. In no instance did Jesus claim Godhood, or that he was anything other than a mortal. If you parse what he said, very carefully, and ignore the Pauline interpretations, it is very clear that Jesus claimed only a better knowledge and understanding of God. He said he was a child of God and that we were his bothers and sisters. He denied that he was anything more than a man.

This is what is called the Arian Heresy. In some quarters it is viewed as the true nature of Christianity, and the Pauline tradition and the Nicaean councils the real heresy.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 05:12:26 PM by Katiebee »

Janus

Reply #136 on: May 30, 2013, 05:19:57 PM
In John 10:30, Jesus says, "I and my Father are one." Isn't that clear enough?

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #137 on: May 30, 2013, 05:41:57 PM

not really. In no instance did Jesus claim Godhood, or that he was anything other than a mortal. If you parse what he said, very carefully, and ignore the Pauline interpretations, it is very clear that Jesus claimed only a better knowledge and understanding of God. He said he was a child of God and that we were his bothers and sisters. He denied that he was anything more than a man.

This is what is called the Arian Heresy. In some quarters it is viewed as the true nature of Christianity, and the Pauline tradition and the Nicaean councils the real heresy.

Well, "If you parse what he said, very carefully," you can pretty much have Jesus say anthing you want, on whatever subject you want. And that, to me, seems like a rather pointless exercise.

And it would be very productive if you could provide some quotes (parsed, or unparsed) demonstrating that Jesus "denied that he was anything more than a man."

Meanwhile, it's worth noting that the hypostatic union -- the union of two natures, fully divine and fully human, in one person, Jesus -- is a logical impossibility, and, viewed from a strictly intellectual point of view, absolutely silly.

And, given the subject of this thread, it's also very worthy of a "mindless anti-Christian meme."

coacheric

Reply #138 on: May 30, 2013, 06:23:42 PM
To me, seems a lot of this talk should be moved over to the "Does God Exist" thread. Getting WAY off course, like normal

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
Reply #139 on: May 30, 2013, 06:47:37 PM

To me, seems a lot of this talk should be moved over to the "Does God Exist" thread. Getting WAY off course, like normal.

I don't know about that, Coach. I specifically made an effort to try to bring this thread back to its original topic:

And, given the subject of this thread, it's also very worthy of a "mindless anti-Christian meme."

Either way, I promise going forward that I won't post anything else here, or in any other thread, that is not specifically and strictly related to the thread title.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 06:49:11 PM by MissBarbara »