KRISTEN'S BOARD
KB - a better class of pervert

News:

The trend of present tense fiction... opinions?

Guest · 1206

Pervertedneighbor

on: May 20, 2017, 05:17:25 AM
It seems to me that so much of what is coming out in fiction today, and quite popular too, is written in present tense, and I find it rather unappealing.  It all seems to lack character and personality and depth.  Past tense fiction, the good old tried and true, has never failed us.

What's your experience?

Offline JulesVern

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +51/-0
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 06:19:52 AM
It seems to me that so much of what is coming out in fiction today, and quite popular too, is written in present tense, and I find it rather unappealing.  It all seems to lack character and personality and depth.  Past tense fiction, the good old tried and true, has never failed us.

What's your experience?

Examples? Personally, I'm not sure I care as long as the story is well written.

Pervertedneighbor

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 08:57:37 AM
That is the problem, you see.  So many seem to think it's the style that they just write that way with very little effort into writing a good book.

I don't think I could come up with a better example than the worst pile of
adolescent garbage of all:
FIFTY SHADES OF GREY and the entire series...

But it seems to me all of the YA books are doing it to a revolting degree.

IdleBoast

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 10:59:08 AM
Then just don't read YA.  Read something written for grown ups...

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3080/-41
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 03:19:19 AM

That is the problem, you see.  So many seem to think it's the style that they just write that way with very little effort into writing a good book.

I don't think I could come up with a better example than the worst pile of
adolescent garbage of all:

FIFTY SHADES OF GREY and the entire series...

But it seems to me all of the YA books are doing it to a revolting degree.

I'd never heard of the current trend to write novels in the present tense, but a little bit of Googling show's you're correct: a surprising number of modern-day YA novels are written in the present tense.

But there are a number of great novels written in the present tense, including John Updike's "Rabbit Run," "One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest," "All Quiet on the Western Front" (one of the greatest novels of the 20th century), Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale (one of my favorite novels), and the runaway bestseller "The Girl on the Train" (which I really disliked, but am in the minority with that opinion).

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Gonfalon

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 12:09:06 PM
It seems to me that so much of what is coming out in fiction today, and quite popular too, is written in present tense, and I find it rather unappealing.

I also find it unappealing and pretentious. Documentaries likewise. Creators think that the present tense adds impact and excitement. All it does is add confusion.

Offline Sidonie

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +6/-0
Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 10:36:44 PM
Some present tense novels are also written with chapters dedicated to a characters point of view.

I really don’t care what tense its wrote in, its the journey that matters and the pleasure it gives me.

I can't taste my lips. Could you do it for me?

Offline Hilda

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +288/-1
  • Granny Takes a Trip
    • Caroline Alcock
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 08:17:16 AM
It seems to me that so much of what is coming out in fiction today, and quite popular too, is written in present tense, and I find it rather unappealing.

I also find it unappealing and pretentious. Documentaries likewise. Creators think that the present tense adds impact and excitement. All it does is add confusion.

I can't remember the last time I read a novel written in the present tense, so can't comment. I agree with you about the use of present tense in documentaries, especially when some of the 'experts' use present and others use past.

You are just a thought that someone, somewhere, somehow feels you should be here.

Offline Vela Nanashi

• Global Moderator
  • Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +369/-2
  • Imagination > Reality
Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 01:17:29 AM
I tend to write present tense myself, as if written well that puts you into the moment and you get to experience it as it happens, there is no frame of safety, like with past tense, there is a feeling you are hearing someone tell about something that happened in the past, and if the narrator is one of the characters, then obviously they survived to tell the tale, and some of the tension is lost.

Also I have come to love first person perspective, since it lets you be in the head of a character and experience things from their point of view, it is also cleaner to write all their senses that way.

Third person is easier to give a full view of what is going on, but you lose the details of the full sensory and emotional inner life of characters, and I have yet to come up with a good way to write third person with all characters' senses, emotions, thoughts, actions, and words written in a clear way, but then I again I am sure that I am not the best writer, I do not even rank myself as good, but I thought I should share my two cents anyway.

For reading I like whenever a writer is comfortable with whatever style they choose and they tell a compelling story.

There is of course also second person and that can be really good, if written well, but it also removes agency of the person reading, and is harder to let yourself get into, so I understand why it is used sparingly.

Also there are other time forms that could be a fun challenge to write in, like describing what will happen, rather than what is or has happened, I am not sure one could write a story most people could read that way, as most of us are not oracles :)

I think the oldest time forms for our human languages is past tense, telling someone what we saw, and then present tense, telling us what we are seeing while our friend we are talking to is hiding and we are sneakily peeking around a tree at something we are hunting or other people of another tribe, or something like that. Later we also might have started talking about the future, but that is less well integrated even today into our languages, as we live in the present, we remember the past, and the future is always uncertain.

Offline Hilda

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +288/-1
  • Granny Takes a Trip
    • Caroline Alcock
Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 03:56:25 AM
I think the oldest time forms for our human languages is past tense, telling someone what we saw, and then present tense, telling us what we are seeing while our friend we are talking to is hiding and we are sneakily peeking around a tree at something we are hunting or other people of another tribe, or something like that. Later we also might have started talking about the future, but that is less well integrated even today into our languages, as we live in the present, we remember the past, and the future is always uncertain.

That's an interesting take on the development of language, one that I haven't come across. I used to have a few linguist friends but lost touch a long time ago. More's the pity.

Was the last part of your message a tip of the hat to Jim Morrison? The future's uncertain and the end is always near. One of my all-time favorite bands.

You are just a thought that someone, somewhere, somehow feels you should be here.

Offline Vela Nanashi

• Global Moderator
  • Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +369/-2
  • Imagination > Reality
Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 02:49:39 PM
Not a linguist here, far from it, but thanks for thinking I had an interesting take :)

Never heard that song, but correcting that right now :) Also woo from me, welcome to the forum :)