KB - a better class of pervert

News:

Astronomy

Shiela_M · 11318

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2841/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #160 on: April 01, 2021, 02:51:41 AM
Counting down the days until ingenuity takes first flight.  For a while I thought it was already deployed, only to find out that it is still dangling from the bottom of the perseverance rover.  Since it's the only flying machine on the entire planet, NASA is taking their time.  The legs are extended and ready to be dropped onto the mars surface.  They are hoping it will be ready for its first flight by april 8th.

I'm hoping everything works perfectly, and they are able to fly it to amazing locations on the alien planet.  If I were in control, I'd be aiming for the inside of Olympus Mons.

A sunrise over the largest mountain/volcano in our solar system

Speaking of largest, there are so many comparison images of earth next to Jupiter, but I feel this one speaks volumes

Guess the planet

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #161 on: April 08, 2021, 03:28:57 AM

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1749/-22
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #162 on: April 08, 2021, 03:34:11 AM

Crazy, isn't it.  Makes me think of one of the worst movies I ever watched.

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #163 on: April 08, 2021, 04:07:40 AM

Crazy, isn't it.  Makes me think of one of the worst movies I ever watched.

Same thoughts here. Also agree. horrible movie

And that is how it's done Obi

....Armageddon....  :facepalm:

Offline Sweetums

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +97/-1
  • Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Don't listen to me.
Reply #164 on: April 20, 2021, 05:56:53 AM

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #165 on: April 24, 2021, 10:39:24 PM
Geomagnetic Storm Watch Issued; Solar Tsunami Unleashed

These solar tsunami are associated with the eruption of solar flares.  Also called coronal mass ejections. These tsunamis happen quite a bit, but are rarely directed at earth.  This one is and has already caused power and radio issues in southeast Asia.

Unlike a wave of water in the sense of a traditional tsunami, a solar tsunami is a wave of hot plasma and magnetism   roughly 62,000 miles tall which races through the solar system at speeds of around 560,000 mph. They also pack as much energy as 2.4 million megatons of TNT. And the resulting Aurora may be seen as low as Idaho and New York. (Of course I'll be getting rain and clouds so ZERO FRIGGIN CHANCE OF ME SEEING IT)

So if you wake up tomorrow and things are a little off with cellphones, radio signals and maybe even power outages, this will more than likely be the reason why.

The national weather service is saying it is a G2 level wave which means it is a moderate threat

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #166 on: April 30, 2021, 04:11:11 AM
This is what we miss every night because of light pollution

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1575/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #167 on: May 05, 2021, 02:16:26 PM
The remnants of Halley's comet are now circling the solar system in the form of ice and dust. It is known as the Eta Aquarids of May. The shower's peak was expected to have been at 3 am this morning. The moon will appear smaller Thursday morning and there is a chance there may be more visible meteors.

Halley's comet is not due to be visible again until 2061.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #168 on: May 06, 2021, 03:34:34 PM
Clouds clouds clouds

I missed out on the entire thing due to clouds. Same as the lunar eclipse. Granted I wouldnt have been able to see the whole thing, but I might have been able to catch the start of it early morning, except... clouds.

I'm making the prediction that Wisconsin will be under clouds the 24th thru 28th.  The super pink moon is taking place on the 26th, so of course it's going to be cloudy as hell. :emot_banghead:

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1575/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #169 on: May 06, 2021, 06:24:38 PM
Clouds clouds clouds

I missed out on the entire thing due to clouds. Same as the lunar eclipse. Granted I wouldnt have been able to see the whole thing, but I might have been able to catch the start of it early morning, except... clouds.

I'm making the prediction that Wisconsin will be under clouds the 24th thru 28th.  The super pink moon is taking place on the 26th, so of course it's going to be cloudy as hell. :emot_banghead:

If the moon shines in Wisconsin, is it made of cheese?  ;D ;D

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1749/-22
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #170 on: May 11, 2021, 04:01:05 PM
Not exactly 'astronomy', but for three nights we've tried watching the rocket launch live stream from Wallops, only to be result in a scrub due to high winds. 
The next attempt is tonight starting at 8:04pm ET (with a 40 minute launch window).
For those on the east coast and as far west as the Mississippi river, we might get a colorful little light show due to the barium and other chemicals that will create blue-green and red artificial clouds.  It's still pretty light out at 8:04 in Detroit, so we'll see. Right now, we have spotty clouds.  Fingers crossed.

https://www.space.com/nasa-kinet-x-rocket-launch-clouds-visibility-webcast

and your earworm for today, you're welcome. :)

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #171 on: September 05, 2021, 01:56:02 PM

Yet another massive solar event took place on Wednesday last week, and the resulting energy will be passing by earth tomorrow.  For those who are far enough north or south, be ready for a light show in the heavens.

Wednesday, there was a massive solar storm that took place and the sun released a CME (coronal mass ejection) and it was aimed at the earth yet again. Evem though this is a pretty significant CME, it is not powerful enough to cause too much damage. There may be issues with the interweb and other communications, but it will only be temporary and not last long.

The surface of the sun is nothing more than enormous magnetic arches made of plasma. The the magnetic arch becomes unstable, it "snaps" creating a solar flare or CME. Some of these are far more powerful than other, hurling massive amounts of plasma and energy through space. If one big enough hit earth, it would fry out internet.

But the internet uses underground, and underwater robotic fibers that use light. How does the magnetic storm effect light?

You're right nameless user. It isnt the cables or light that are effected, but the conductors that are scattered throught the globe that would be damaged and and repairing. No easy or quick task. Imagine a world sudden without internet... some could cope, but majority would go mad... no KB...  :emot_weird:

We are safe from this particular event, but it is only a matter of time before we are clobbered by the energy of a CME.

in case your wondering the size of a solar flare, and the amouth of mass and energy released, here is a quick artist comparison

Offline Asmodel

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +0/-1164
Reply #172 on: September 05, 2021, 02:00:18 PM

Yet another massive solar event took place on Wednesday last week, and the resulting energy will be passing by earth tomorrow.  For those who are far enough north or south, be ready for a light show in the heavens.

Wednesday, there was a massive solar storm that took place and the sun released a CME (coronal mass ejection) and it was aimed at the earth yet again. Evem though this is a pretty significant CME, it is not powerful enough to cause too much damage. There may be issues with the interweb and other communications, but it will only be temporary and not last long.

The surface of the sun is nothing more than enormous magnetic arches made of plasma. The the magnetic arch becomes unstable, it "snaps" creating a solar flare or CME. Some of these are far more powerful than other, hurling massive amounts of plasma and energy through space. If one big enough hit earth, it would fry out internet.

But the internet uses underground, and underwater robotic fibers that use light. How does the magnetic storm effect light?

You're right nameless user. It isnt the cables or light that are effected, but the conductors that are scattered throught the globe that would be damaged and and repairing. No easy or quick task. Imagine a world sudden without internet... some could cope, but majority would go mad... no KB...  :emot_weird:

We are safe from this particular event, but it is only a matter of time before we are clobbered by the energy of a CME.

in case your wondering the size of a solar flare, and the amouth of mass and energy released, here is a quick artist comparison

HOLY MOLY !!
Feels like…

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #173 on: October 24, 2021, 05:48:53 AM

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +1574/-3
Reply #174 on: November 18, 2021, 06:37:20 PM
The latest tour of the ISS in 4K definition.

It is in French but with english subtitles. I was amazed how cluttered it is.

Princess, would you like to see it light up and hum when I wave it about

Offline purpleshoes

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +428/-10
Reply #175 on: November 19, 2021, 12:27:15 PM
You're right about that. Talk about close quarters!

Amazing video though. Woo

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +413/-12
  • I really am a demon that defiles helpless girls
    • Forbidden Forced Fantasy
Reply #176 on: November 20, 2021, 03:17:10 AM
I got up in the night and saw the lunar eclipse.  It was just a sliver at 4:15, and later at 4:45 about half covered.  I did miss it at total eclipse, was probably around 4:00.  I let the dog out at 2, and it hadn’t started yet, so fell asleep again, but at least I saw part of it.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #177 on: November 20, 2021, 01:41:18 PM
I can not begin to tell you how upset I am that I missed it. I cant even blame it in clouds this time as we had clear skys. The reason I missed it landed squarely on my shoulders. I had the 19th in my head for two month, but the problem is I got mixed up and thought the night of the 19th, and not the morning of. I woke up and the morning radio show was talking about it and I could have just kicked myself. ☹

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +413/-12
  • I really am a demon that defiles helpless girls
    • Forbidden Forced Fantasy
Reply #178 on: November 20, 2021, 06:58:54 PM
I can not begin to tell you how upset I am that I missed it. I cant even blame it in clouds this time as we had clear skys. The reason I missed it landed squarely on my shoulders. I had the 19th in my head for two month, but the problem is I got mixed up and thought the night of the 19th, and not the morning of. I woke up and the morning radio show was talking about it and I could have just kicked myself. ☹

I should have thought to warn you my dear.  I know how much you love astronomy.

I was afraid we would have clouds, we didn’t, was nice and clear.

Offline Asmodel

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +0/-1164