Republishing my own stuff elsewhere

Pinkslip · 959

Offline Pinkslip

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +3/-0
  • Life is but a whisper away...
on: May 31, 2020, 08:20:09 PM
Hi,

I am new here.  Really just looking for a place to post some stories and see how people like them.  I have looked at this place from the outside for a couple of weeks and I thought I would register today and give it a try.

I am just wondering if I post a story here that I think I might be able to publish in a book or magazine, what are the possibilities?  Would that pose any legal problems?

Life is not a having and a getting, but a being and a becoming.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2841/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 08:27:33 PM
I don't see how that would cause any problems, as long as you follow the rules of KB sent down by the Gods and enforced by the Titans.

Welcome love, look forward to reading your art.

_priapism

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 08:33:09 PM
Hi,

I am new here.  Really just looking for a place to post some stories and see how people like them.  I have looked at this place from the outside for a couple of weeks and I thought I would register today and give it a try.

I am just wondering if I post a story here that I think I might be able to publish in a book or magazine, what are the possibilities?  Would that pose any legal problems?

I’m a mod, and a lawyer in RL.  KB takes no proprietary ownership of materials posted here, and neither claims nor enforces copyrights on those materials.  KB does maintain ownership and control over its name, it’s platform, and it’s own proprietary and intellectual property.

So if you want to republish your own material, fine.  It you want to call your book, “Kristen’s Board’s Greatest Hits”?  We will have a problem.

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +413/-12
  • I really am a demon that defiles helpless girls
    • Forbidden Forced Fantasy
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 06:26:05 AM
I’d say view the writing you post here as practice hoping for constructive feedback.  That’s how I viewed things when I wrote.  One day I hope to write and get published.  I have several scientific articles published, although none recently due to my current job doesn’t involve original research.  But I hope to write fiction and nonfiction as a way to supplement income during retirement.

Gonfalon

Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 11:55:18 AM
I’d say view the writing you post here as practice hoping for constructive feedback.  That’s how I viewed things when I wrote.  One day I hope to write and get published.  I have several scientific articles published, although none recently due to my current job doesn’t involve original research.  But I hope to write fiction and nonfiction as a way to supplement income during retirement.

I've found that the best source of steady income is textbooks. I'm still getting a trickle of royalties from books I wrote thirty years ago.

Unless you're another J. K. Rowling or Stephenie Meyer (I can think of a few more), making a living from fiction is difficult. It's not a matter of talent. Good timing, good publicity, and good movie or TV deals are the keys. Hiring a good agent is essential, but it's a cart before a horse dilemma. You need money to pay an agent, but unless you're a lady of independent means (I love that expression), you have to make that money through book sales. Which means having a good agent. And so on.

I've corresponded with dozens of gifted writers with very sad tales to tell, and all those independent e-publishers of just ten years ago have shut up shop. I keep having to prune my browser bookmarks of dead links. Meanwhile the Kindle Publishing juggernaut rolls on and on.

Offline Colin Piper

• Degenerate
    • Woos/Boos: +48/-1
  • In fantasy world, anything goes.
Reply #5 on: March 24, 2021, 01:31:51 AM
This is an old thread, but given the OP was given some advice that didn't point out a very serious consideration, it may be useful to anyone else who publishes stories here and has thoughts about selling them.

If you have published a story here, a publication may turn it down as it has been previously published, or if they do consider "reprints" they may pay far less. Different publications will have different rules about private forums and so on, but if a line of your story was typed into Google, would a non-member be able to follow a link to the story here? If they could, it may be that your work is classed as previously published, and any further reproduction would be a "reprint".

More here: https://duotrope.com/guides/reprints.aspx 

Hope this helps.

Colin.

Offline Dudester

• Deviant
    • Woos/Boos: +67/-66
Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 02:23:30 AM
At a ghost story site I published some ghost stories about ten years ago. Recently, I found that not only did some college kid steal two of my stories, he claimed them as original works. I contacted the mods at that story site, provided them the url's of my original works and several days later they took down the stories (they actually gave the poster 48 hours to disprove the copyright infringement, which he couldn't do).