KRISTEN'S BOARD
Please consult your physician prior to participating on this message board.

News:

HALLOWEEN BLOG

GEMINIGUY · 18527

Offline GEMINIGUY

• "I'm Rockin' My Life Away..."
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 05:49:15 PM
"In China, mourners at a funeral may keep their distance from the coffin for fear that their shadow will fall on it and thus be buried with the deceased. *************** One last superstition relating to shadows is the custom of examining the shape of the shadows cast by a group of people as they sit by the fire at Christmas or New Year. If anyone's shadow appears to lack a head, the chances are that the person concerned will be dead before another 12 months have passed."

"If it's good enough for the Gemini Guys
Then it's good enough for me" - Adam Ant

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #31 on: October 21, 2010, 07:22:49 AM
**October 21st** Evil Eye "The power to influence another's health or well-being for the worse by simply looking at them. Since ancient times people with green or blue eyes have been widely supposed to be able to harm their enemies with no more than a severe look. The motion reached its climax during the Witchcraft panic of the 17th century, when many European Witches were accused of he practice of 'overlooking' their victims. Anyone with uneven or deep-set eyes, eyes of different colours, cross-eyed or a squint may still be suspected of possessing the evil eye, even though the person himself may have no wish to profit by such power. Nowadays the evil eye is associated primarily with gypsies, who may employ it against anyone who does not offer them money when approached."

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #32 on: October 22, 2010, 07:08:59 AM
**October 22nd** Jackdaw "is widely considered a creature of ill omen. If a jackdaw  settles on a particular house, death is likely to strike one of the occupants; this is even more certain if it comes down the chimney [though in some European countries a jackdaw perched on a roof is more optimistically a prophecy of a new arrival within the family]. As with the magpie, it is deemed unlucky to see a single jackdaw but less ominous to see several together. Jackdaws that fly noisily in an unceasing circle, meanwhile, are a warning of coming rain, & if they are slow to return to their roost in the evening severe weather should be expected." Crow "Once considered a messenger of the gods & later a familiar of the traditional Witch, the crow is now viewed by many as a harbinger of death & disaster, particularly feared if it alights upon a house or taps on a windowpane. A crow settling in a churchyard is likewise deemed an omen that there will be a funeral in the near future.

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #33 on: October 22, 2010, 07:18:36 AM
"Crows that leave a wood en masse are interpreted as a sign of coming famine, while if they fly at one another it presages the outbreak of war. Crows that flock early in the day and fly towards the sun are a sign of good weather [as is a crow that croaks an even number of times], but bad weather is on the way if they are noisy and active around water at dusk [or if a single crow croaks an odd number of times]."   

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #34 on: October 23, 2010, 10:31:39 AM
**October 23rd** Familiar "The supernatural spirit agent of a Witch or Sorceror. The familiar is a feature primarily of the witchcraft tradition of England and Scotland, for few records exist of such unworldly assistants elsewhere. Familiars typically took the form of domestic animals, most often cats, dogs and black birds, but Witches examined by the Witchfinders of the 17th century admitted to harbouring all manner of demons, which they were said to feed with their own blood. Admissions such as this were once sufficient 'proof' for a Witch to be condemned to death, and many old and ignorant women died because they had not the wits to deny associating with such imps." Raven "...an attendant upon the gods of both ancient Greece and Scandinavia...widely considered a creature of ill omen and is feared for its apparent ability to foresee death. It is particularly disliked in the vicinity of the sick, as the call of this 'messenger of death'- sometimes heard as the words 'corpse, corpse'- is an omen that 

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #35 on: October 23, 2010, 10:40:27 AM
the patient will not recover. In times gone by, it was suggested that the bird was a favourite disguise of the Devil and also that it carried disease around the countryside on its wings. Scientists suggest that this association with death may have some roots in the bird's extremely sensitive powers of smell, which will draw it to decaying flesh even some distance away. Another explanation harks back to the 11th century Norman invaders of England who carried the raven as an emblem on their banners, thus linking the bird in the minds of the English with the ravages of war."

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #36 on: October 24, 2010, 06:51:48 AM
**October 24th** Devil "The ruler of the Underworld, otherwise known as Satan or Lucifer, who is the personification of evil in Christian demonology. Worship of the Devil- the 'Prince Of Darkness' or the 'Horned One'- has always been a central feature of European and US Witchcraft and has encompassed such extremes as human sacrifice and orgiastic sex. Time was when many people were nervous of even speaking his name, preferring instead to refer to 'Old Nick' for fear of provoking dark forces. *************** Followers of Satan speak of him manifesting various forms, his favourite guises include the cloven-hoofed goat, reminiscent of the Greek god Pan, the dog & the monkey. *************** Serious-minded belief in the Devil...was still sufficiently in 1855 for the discovery of the infamous 100-mile-long trail of 'Devil's hoofmarks' in the snow in south Devon to create widespread consternation. Even now the Devil is an indispensable leading protagonist in orthodox religious teaching as well as in horror films."

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #37 on: October 25, 2010, 06:55:48 AM
**October 25th** Witchcraft "Superstition is much preoccupied with the carrying out of Witchcraft and the need to obtain magical protection from such activity. Distantly derived from various pagan religions and much altered after the introduction of Christianity and of the biblical Devil, Witchcraft - a meeting-place between religion, folk medicine, and curiousity in and fear of the unexplained - takes many forms and is often intended to be beneficial, though it is the Satanic variety that has inspired the countless protective charms that superstition recommends. Most of there date back to the late Middle Ages up to the 18th century, when the Witchcraft hysteria was at its height and many suspected Witches were tortured or put to death on the flimsiest of evidence. *************** Alleged Witches throughout the centuries have been blamed by the superstitious for all manner of ills that cannot otherwise be accounted for. These have ranged from plagues, storms and murders to such lesser problems as cattle

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #38 on: October 25, 2010, 07:07:40 AM
failing to produce milk, horses lacking their usual vigour and crops failing to prosper. To provide protection against such misfortunes, many people used to wear special Amulets and protected their homes in a variety of ways, ranging from concealing a pair of scissors under the doormat to bringing in sprigs of various trees and plants, such as Holly or St. John's Wort, which was reputed to repel evil spirits. *************** Most spells that are intended to harm a person directly will only work if something incorporating the 'essense' of the victim is obtained first. This may be a little of their hair or nail perhaps or a sample of their blood, saliva or urine - so taking extra care in the disposal of such items will go a long way towards foiling a Witch's plans. To kill a witch outright, the surest way, so superstition dictates, is to shoot the suspect with a silver bullet." 

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #39 on: October 26, 2010, 07:05:40 AM
**October 26th** Owl "Being an essentially nocturnal bird, the owl is regarded with mistrust by the superstitious. To see an owl or to hear it hooting is unlucky [especially in daylight] as is looking into an owl's nest, which will result in the person concerned suffering from melancholy for the rest of his or her days. Should an owl be heard to hoot near the home, one remedy is to toss some salt into the fire to the negate the threatened ill fortune. He this happens when someone in the house is ill, some authorities suggest that efforts should be made to kill the owl and then place the body on the patient's chest. In France, owls hooting within the hearing of a pregnant woman mean that the baby will be a girl. In Welsh folklore, meanwhile, an owl hooting among houses reveals the fact that an unmarried girl nearby is about to lose her virginity. *************** Sightings of owls are usually considered omens of death or of other serious misfortune. If an owl appears when a child is born or if it settles on

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #40 on: October 26, 2010, 07:23:31 AM
roof of a house this is particularly to be lamented, threatening ill luck. In the Shetlands, farmers believe that their cows will give bloodied milk and then die if an owl brushes against them." Bat "With their nocturnal flight and habit of roosting in secluded shadowy places such as ruins and caves, bats have long been associated with the darker side of superstition; in many cultures they are linked with Witchcraft and death. *************** The appearance of a bat in a church during a wedding ceremony is considered a bad omen, and if a bat flies 3 times round a house or hits a windowpane this is a sure prophecy of the impending death of someone within. Equally ominous in many countries is the discovery of a bat actually in the house, which again threatens the life of one of the occupants or else is taken as a sign that the human occupants are about to leave. A near miss when a bat flies close by is a warning that the person concerned is threatened by betrayal or Witchcraft at the hands of another.

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #41 on: October 26, 2010, 07:33:28 AM
"If a bat actually collides with a building, then rain can be expected. Other traditions suggest that Witches sometimes turn themselves into bats in order to enter people's houses and that the sight of bats flying vertically upwards and then dropping back to Earth is a sign that the Witching hour has come. Witches, it is said, often include a few drop of bat's blood in the flying ointment they are said to smear on their bodies before taking off on their broomsticks; the idea is that they will then be safe from colliding with anything, as bats appear to be. In order to keep Witches away superstitious people are advised to carry a live bat 3 times round the outside of the house, then to kill it and nail its dead body beside a window or else to the door of one of their outhouses."   

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #42 on: October 27, 2010, 06:53:19 AM
**October 27th** Corpse "The handling of human corpses is the focus of a myriad of superstitions around the world... The moment death has taken place superstition insists that the eyes, if still open, be closed, or their gaze will summon another person who is present to accompany the departed to the grave [in some countries the eyes are prevented from reopening by covering them with coins]. Distraught friends and relatives should not allow their tears to fall upon the body, as their distress is believed to trouble the departed soul. Scottish tradition discourages mourners from crying at any stage during a funeral. *************** Touching the corpse is recommended as it brings the living good luck and will, save them from nightmares in which the dead person appears. The touch of a dead person's hand - particularly one who has died a violent death - may prove of benefit to various medical conditions. The corpse of a person who has been murdered, however, will bleed if touched by the murderer, thus revealing

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #43 on: October 27, 2010, 07:09:15 AM
the latter's guilt. ***************  On no account must an animal of any kind be allowed to jump over the coffin...the animal must be killed immediately to prevent further deaths in the family. A corpse that remains limp long after rigor mortis should have set is a bad omen, warning of another death in the household. *************** A corpse should be removed from the house before the weekend, for a body that remains unburied over a sunday will soon be joined by another in the grave. It is also thought unlucky for a corpse to remain unburied over New Year's Day. Miners go further and may refuse to return to work until the body of a colleague killed in an accident is properly laid to rest. Sailors, too, dislike having a body on board ship, and if the burial takes place at sea are nervous of watching the body  sink for fear that they will follow it. ***************  When the time comes for the body to be carried away it is important that it be removed feet first, in contradiction to the usual manner of birth,

Offline GEMINIGUY

• Burnt at the stake
    • Fame +426/-59
Reply #44 on: October 27, 2010, 07:12:49 AM
or the deceased's ghost may return. Any ground of which the corpse is carried is fated to become barren... Once the body is gone, the front steps should be washed at once to clean it of any ill luck left behind. Linen used to wrap a body is considered very lucky and may be used to relieve headaches if wrapped around the head."