News:

Good Guy/Gal With A Gun

joan1984 · 31248

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +766/-56
Reply #40 on: June 04, 2016, 11:28:07 PM
While I am glad that a few lives are saved when guns are used in self defense, the fact is that guns are used far more often to kill the innocent and accidentally, resulting in the deaths of the innocent.

I own a handgun.  It stays in my home and I have no children.  If I did have children, it would be stored in place where only trusted adults would have access.  But I don't carry it around with me as it would do little or no good.

If someone is determined to kill me, they would quietly walk up and do so.  I would be given little or no chance to defend myself against a gun unless I had warning and had my gun out and ready.  But you can't walk around brandishing firearms at everyone "to be ready" unless you want to go to prison.

The circumstances for your examples of "Good Guy/Gal with a gun" only works in very special circumstances.  Rarely in real life at all.  So yes, it is romanticizing the issue.

Do you have any real solutions to end gun violence?  Because I would love to hear them.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #41 on: June 05, 2016, 12:46:59 AM
When I got my concealed handgun license and told my Dad, he told me:

The usual circumstances people carry concealed for are when they are accosted by a robber, or so they say. If that is so, they are only going to be hurt or killed. When one is ambushed, one retreats to defensible terrain.

Since most robberies occur at distances closer than 5 feet, the threat is closer than the minimum standoff distance required to draw and acquire a target. In other words, if ambushed run. If the robber has a weapon out, don't fight. You are already losing the battle.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 06:00:55 AM by Katiebee »

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3091/-41
Reply #42 on: June 05, 2016, 01:02:54 AM

"Celebrating" that a 'Bad Guy' has been taken out is quite disturbing?

Celebrating that a 'Good Guy' survived, for once, by whatever means necessary is the point. And when that 'means necessary' counters the actions of the 'Bad Guy', so that not only the 'bad guy' has a firearm, but meets his match, it is even better.

This is a counter thread showing real life, vs. anti-gun political and politically correct culture being forced upon us by... wait for it... The Left !

On the one hand, the thread is based on your belief that someone who kills an intruder or potential threat is automatically a "good guy/gal." That is, the very act that they killed someone makes them good.

That's disturbing.

On the other hand, the thread celebrates -- rejoices in the fact -- that someone was killed. Even if that person was a "bad guy," you're still celebrating his death.

That, too, is disturbing.

You seem convinced of the logical or ethical viability of this thread. To be consistent, you should also start a thread listing the occasions when a "good guy/gal with a gun" accidentally shoots and/or kills someone he/she mistakenly believes is an intruder. It happens with tragic frequency.

And that's not "left-wing" opinion. It's fact.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline MtTamKim

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +10/-0
Reply #43 on: June 20, 2016, 10:50:31 PM
Joan, a 911 call would have gotten the police there a lot sooner.

What makes you think that? Around here, average response time to a crime in progress 911 call is 12 minutes. Of course, she 'might' have still been alive and unbeaten after that time, but in her shoes I'd have done what she did.

Kim

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #44 on: June 20, 2016, 11:03:47 PM

What makes you think that? Around here, average response time to a crime in progress 911 call is 12 minutes. Of course, she 'might' have still been alive and unbeaten after that time, but in her shoes I'd have done what she did.

Kim
you will also note that when she shot him, he wrestled the gun away from her, and went to get a beer. Her actions were largely ineffective.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline MtTamKim

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +10/-0
Reply #45 on: June 21, 2016, 08:14:02 PM

Kim
you will also note that when she shot him, he wrestled the gun away from her, and went to get a beer. Her actions were largely ineffective.

Which is why you shoot till the gun is empty. Unlike tv shows, people rarely drop to the ground harmless after a single shot.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #46 on: June 22, 2016, 12:29:24 AM
Shot placement is important

Offline Elizabeth

• Life Is Short........Play Naked..!!!
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +379/-9
Reply #47 on: June 22, 2016, 01:26:35 AM
Shot placement is important

If the first or second round doesn't work....then that's an indication that you need a larger caliber weapon......"Desert Eagle" should do the trick very nicely.

Love,
Liz

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #48 on: June 22, 2016, 02:16:19 AM
America's fetishization of guns has made the country a more dangerous place to live. No amount of romanticizing can change or disguise that truth.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3091/-41
Reply #49 on: June 22, 2016, 02:50:47 PM

America's fetishization of guns has made the country a more dangerous place to live. No amount of romanticizing can change or disguise that truth.

Perfectly put!

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +614/-270
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #50 on: June 22, 2016, 04:47:42 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/online-gun-shop-sells-30000-ar-15-assault-rifles-in-one-week-a7093176.html

A gunstore in PA sold 30,000 AR-15 type rifles last week, thanks to Democrats in the US Senate, and President Obama, and AG Lynch, and compliant media who have tried with some success to shift blame from the criminal who did the shooting, to the tried and true tripe of "assault rifles".

Almost all the Bills voted on to date would have done nothing to prevent the Orlando shooting, or the Sandy Hook shooting, or the Sacramento California shooting, or the Fort Hood shooting, or most any other mass murder shooting in recent history... no matter... the issue is a wedge issue that Democrats think can help them retake the Senate in November, so reality be damned...

Good Gals and Guys are taking no chances, and buying good guns while they remain available for sale. Once again, Democrats and President Obama are the best gun salespeople out there. Thank you, President Obama...

Some people are like the 'slinky'. Not really good for much,
but they bring a smile to your face as they fall down stairs.

Offline Elizabeth

• Life Is Short........Play Naked..!!!
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +379/-9
Reply #51 on: June 22, 2016, 05:45:19 PM
For some reason, I don't believe that any individual gun shop (online or offline) sold 30,000 weapons in one week. It's numerically impossible first off, further 'NO" weapons manufacture is going to ship anywhere near that number of weapons to "one single shop". the warehousing of that many weapons alone would be a security nightmare, even the largest US Military Base in NA doesn't have "that" many weapons in one location. Another thing weapons that are popular with civilians are also in demand for the military (the military getting the automatic version) and the military gets priority. ie: example: Springfield Armory manufactures the M14A1 Civilian Rifle and they also manufacture the military version, The civilian manufacture line has all but stopped so that the military line is in full swing (the waiting time for a M-14A1 civilian version is now up to two years and there is no guarantee that it won't be longer). Of course there are Chinese made knockoffs at a much cheaper price.

Love,
Liz

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #52 on: June 22, 2016, 07:33:57 PM
Yeah, that's the equivalent of three infantry divisions.

A bit overstated don't you think?

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1621/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #53 on: June 22, 2016, 09:02:28 PM
I just read that there are 3 million AR-15s in the hands of American citizens.  Way too many in my opinion. Unless these 3 million are awaiting a zombie apocalypse.... ;D

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline rickinnocal

• New Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +9/-0
Reply #54 on: June 22, 2016, 09:57:36 PM
I just read that there are 3 million AR-15s in the hands of American citizens.  Way too many in my opinion. Unless these 3 million are awaiting a zombie apocalypse.... ;D

There's over 300 million people in America. That alone means that less than 1% of them have an AR-15. Since many collectors and enthusiasts have several different models and variants, and many gun ranges and clubs have several for public use, the actual percentage of Americans that own an AR is a fraction of 1%.

Despite the MSM's demonization of them, the AR is simply a semi-automatic rifle like any other. There's no difference in *function* between an AR-15 and something like a Ruger Mini-14; except that the Ruger doesn't "look like" an assault rifle, while the AR does. They even fire the same round.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #55 on: June 22, 2016, 11:33:34 PM
The restriction on a style of weapon can make sense, but only if you address the real issue, rather than fear. On the obverse of that coin, saying that everyone has a right to own such a weapon is just as specious.

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #56 on: June 29, 2016, 08:37:43 PM
Father shot daughter’s ex-boyfriend out of self-defense, faces no charges
By Kayla Root
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – An Albuquerque father who shot his daughter’s ex-boyfriend in the leg Thursday will not be charged in the incident.

Police responded to a call about the shooting in northeast Albuquerque early Thursday morning. Officers say when they arrived on scene they they found 40-year-old Lee Brandenburg suffering from several gunshot wounds to his legs.

Investigation revealed that Brandenburg was armed and had attempting to gain entry into the home of his ex-girlfriend and her 76-year-old father by breaking the front window to the living room.

The 76-year-old shot Brandenburg several times out of fear for him and his daughters safety, according to the Albuquerque Police Department. Brandenburg was transported to this hospital in stable condition.

Police say Brandenburg had a history of making threats to his ex-girlfriend, prompting her to move in with her father.

Police say upon his release Brandenburg will be booked and charged with aggravated battery, while the 76-year-old father will not face any charges.

http://krqe.com/2016/06/24/father-shot-daughters-ex-boyfriend-out-of-self-defense-faces-no-charges/

Offline joan1984

• Burnt at the stake
  • Co-POY 2011
Reply #57 on: June 29, 2016, 08:51:46 PM

MSNBC Online Poll:
Concealed Carry Wins 449K to 19K

An MSBNC online poll asking if “people should be allowed to carry guns in public” found that 449K respondents said “yes,” with only 19K respondents saying “no.” The poll is non-scientific, but it was open to the public and it appears the public responded.

Those taking the poll read one question, “Do you believe people should be allowed to carry guns in public?”

They then chose from three possible answers:
1. Yes! The Second Amendment guarantees it.
2. No, it’s too dangerous.
3. Only for self-defense.

The results as of June 28: 449K said “Yes! The Second Amendment guarantees it,” 19K said “No, it’s too dangerous,” and 18K said, “Only for self-defense.”

It would seem fair to combine responses 1 and 3, since those who carry guns in public do so for self-defense. That would put the divide between pro-concealed carry answers and anti-concealed carry answers at 556K to 19K.

Either way, concealed carry overwhelming carried the day.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/poll-do-you-think-people-should-be-allowed-carry-guns-public
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:53:55 PM by joan1984 »

Offline Lois

• Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #58 on: June 29, 2016, 09:24:39 PM
Yes, it was very unscientific.  I am member of the CalGuns Forum.  They had people there voting multiple times to skew the results.  No doubt other groups did so as well.

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #59 on: June 29, 2016, 09:27:33 PM
Vote, and vote often.