News:

Astronomy

Shiela_M · 12099

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +1631/-3
Reply #80 on: April 22, 2020, 05:38:12 PM

Has anyone caught sight of Elon Musk's latest Starlink train of 60 satellites launched on 18 March?  The next 60 launch in a few hours time.

http://www.satflare.com/track.asp?q=starlink5&sck=1#LIST

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink

Princess, would you like to see it light up and hum when I wave it about

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +2965/-6
  • I said it's weird, not that I wouldn't do it.
Reply #81 on: May 17, 2020, 12:50:23 AM
Has everybody heard about the super earth.  It's an earth like planet within our solar system. When it was first discovered scientists went crazy.  Here was a planet roughly the same size as earth but bigger, orbiting a star within the "habital zone" to sustain life.  After years of hoping that we may have found a planet to possibly move to, dreams have been destroyed.

There is one massive huge problem with this planet. It's not the atmosphere or the gravity of the planet itself, but the problem lies with the star.  It is about 2/3 the size of our own star.  This means that it produces much less energy and light for the earth like planet.

This means that liquid water may not be possible on the surface so the possibility of sustaining life is extremely reduced.  There may be liquid water far from the surface where pressure and core temps may hear it up, but life on the surface is all but impossible for the time being.

Unless you're really really good at holding your breath

_priapism

Reply #82 on: May 17, 2020, 01:36:39 AM
Unfortunately, We Cannot Move to Super-Earth

Seems like it would be easier to stop fucking our Earth up, than to move to another planet, but hey, what do I know?

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1323/-3
Reply #83 on: May 17, 2020, 01:37:34 AM
Well damn Shiela... another bubble burst.  Guess I'll go unpack now. :facepalm:

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #84 on: May 17, 2020, 02:34:54 AM
Every party needs a pooper that's why you invited me. ;D

I don't know what you're all worried about, global warming is a myth, and burning coal is a good thing.  Next thing you know, we'll be putting lead in our chewing gum to help with the clorox shots before sticking a chem-light up our asses. 

Enough of the derailment though.

Even getting there was so far fetched it would never happen.  The amount of recourse it would take to get half way there would be a thousand times more than every single space exploration taken so far.  The shuttle alone would have difficulty taking off.  They would have to build it in space. If only we had a branch of the military to work on that...

Oops derailed it with a pile of bullshit again.  Sorry guys.

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1771/-23
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #85 on: May 27, 2020, 02:51:53 PM

Space X launch today at 4:33pm.  Have to find out where to watch it on the big screen.

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Online watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1621/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #86 on: May 27, 2020, 04:16:30 PM
Will they be lifting off?  Heard last night fog may delay the launch.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline xXshepXx

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +25/-0
Reply #87 on: May 27, 2020, 05:22:03 PM
Coverage of Landmark NASA SpaceX Commercial Crew Test Flight

Today is the launch of the first manned flight to the ISS with a commercial rocket. Maybe I'll watch the live stream if I stay awake until then.

I'm not okay, you're not okay. But hey, that's okay

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1771/-23
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #88 on: May 30, 2020, 09:51:18 PM
Watching Falcon and the Dragon Crew take off today, heading to the ISS.

Go Bob and Doug     caa roo coo coo caa roo coo coo.

That's from Dan, I don't know what it even means.  
"Yeah, post that picture, Jules."
Something to do with this...  

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #89 on: May 30, 2020, 10:12:29 PM

Go Bob and Doug     caa roo coo coo caa roo coo coo.

My dad and cousin would be best friends with Dan.  They love that ridiculously idiotic excuse of a movie. I swear I lost half my brain cells watching that when I was a kid.... so dumb

ChirpingGirl

Reply #90 on: May 30, 2020, 10:14:48 PM

Go Bob and Doug     caa roo coo coo caa roo coo coo.

My dad and cousin would be best friends with Dan.  They love that ridiculously idiotic excuse of a movie. I swear I lost half my brain cells watching that when I was a kid.... so dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZCI39NWZ5g

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +1631/-3
Reply #91 on: June 02, 2020, 05:53:52 PM

Saw this on Twitter

"Those Space X guys will be gone for a while.  Plenty of time for the rest of us to hire gorilla suits and learn to ride horses"

;D

Princess, would you like to see it light up and hum when I wave it about

Offline Jed_

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +413/-12
  • I really am a demon that defiles helpless girls
    • Forbidden Forced Fantasy
Reply #92 on: June 02, 2020, 05:57:08 PM

_priapism

Reply #93 on: June 13, 2020, 11:47:37 PM
Check out this remarkable GIF. That bright, apparently-moving star is Proxima Centauri, the nearest star system to our Sun. (If you can call 24.5 trillion miles “near.”) I’ll post a side-by-side still shot at the top of this thread, in case your device won’t process GIFs.
It hasn’t really moved at all. The reason it appears to, is because it’s two frames of the same region of space: one taken from here on Earth, the other taken by the New Horizons spacecraft, presently heading out into the unknown at about 11 miles per second. That apparent shift between the two is a result of a parallax view due to New Horizons’ distance into deep space.
New Horizons was launched on January 19th, 2006. According to my abacus, that was 5,259 days ago. In the grand scheme of things, that is NOTHING... the mere blink of an eye. Yet in just that time, this little 1,000 pound contraption has traveled far enough into the “final frontier” to give us a parallax view of our night sky. I suspect we could get similar images from the two Voyager spacecraft too, but NASA has long since powered down their onboard gadgetry to bare minimum only.
I am of the opinion that New Horizons, the Voyager twins, Hubble, Curiosity and Cassini have given humankind the best bang for our buck than any of our other extraterrestrial endeavors. When Ike signed off on NASA, he had no idea what it would lead to. In the span of just my pathetic lifetime, it’s gone from 50/50 chances of successfully launching crude instruments into orbit, to this: a robot the size of a Chevy Tahoe phoning in pictures like this from the outskirts of our Solar System.
Pretty goll-derned cool, IMHO.  ????

_priapism

Reply #94 on: July 05, 2020, 07:57:15 PM
Since 1990 the Hubble Space Telescope has roamed galaxies far, far away, capturing stellar snapshots of distant places, exploding stars and other cosmic wonders.  To mark the project’s 39th anniversary, NASA selected 366 shots - one for every day of the year - for an online gallery.  Cool and interesting.

Galaxy ESO 510-G13

Usually, when a spiral galaxy appears edge-on, its dust and spiral arms appear flat. The warping of the disk in ESO 510-G13 suggests this galaxy has recently undergone a collision with a nearby galaxy and is in the process of swallowing it.

https://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/hst_bday/april-6

Pick your birthdate:

https://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/hst_bday/
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 08:03:46 PM by ToeinH2O »

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #95 on: July 07, 2020, 09:51:20 PM
Every second, a star dies in the universe. But these stellar beings don't just completely vanish, stars always leave something behind.

Some stars explode in a supernova, turning into a black hole or a neutron star.  These are the most dangerous things in nature.  Black holes suck in everything including light making then scary in themselves, with the occasional eruption of energy from its "poles", but neutron stars, especially pulsars, are even more dangerous as they constantly throw off radiation.  It can be so powerful that if it hits the earth directly, it would decimated the ozone and destroy the magnetic field protecting us.  This would essentially kill the planet as its pounded by our sun's radiation.

However, the majority of stars, around 90%, will become white dwarfs, a core of the star it once used to be.  These in themselves are remarkable because of what they truly are.  Our own sun will become a red giant when it runs out of hydrogen and burns helium, and when that burns off it will become a white dwarf made completely of carbon core about the size of the earth.  It will literally become a diamond in the sky.  The condensed carbon core will become a 10 billion-trillion-trillion carat diamond.

10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 carats

Now a new study reveals that these white dwarfs contribute more to life in the cosmos than previously believed.  Before they burn out all its energy, it spews carbon atoms out into space that travel across the cosmos until they fall down onto a planet.  When that planet is the right distance from a star like our own.  These carbon atoms can become the building blocks to life on that planet.  It used to be thought that supernova stars were what created life, but it turns out that the quiet more common and subtle death of smaller stars, may be the reason we are here.  Created by stardust.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 12:34:01 AM by Shiela_M »

_priapism

Reply #96 on: July 09, 2020, 03:43:23 AM
We are all made of stardust. 

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #97 on: August 15, 2020, 12:45:20 AM

Hubble Finds That Betelgeuse’s Mysterious Dimming Is Due to a Traumatic Outburst. Observations by NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope are showing that the unexpected dimming of the supergiant star Betelgeuse was most likely caused by an immense amount of hot material ejected into space, forming a dust cloud that blocked starlight coming from Betelgeuse’s surface.

Hubble researchers suggest that the dust cloud formed when superhot plasma unleashed from an upwelling of a large convection cell on the star’s surface passed through the hot atmosphere to the colder outer layers, where it cooled and formed dust grains. The resulting dust cloud blocked light from about a quarter of the star’s surface, beginning in late 2019. By April 2020, the star returned to normal brightness.

They are not 100% sure if this is pre-supernova activity or just an anomaly caused by shifts of plasma under its surface.  The original theory was that is was a giant sun spot on the southern hemisphere.  This spot would be roughly twice the size of out own sun.

Because betelgeuse is 725 million light years away, this activity actually happened around the early 1300.  We are just now getting visuals of it.

No matter the cause, they still don't expect the supernova to be visible for roughly another 100,000 years.

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #98 on: September 02, 2020, 02:21:54 AM
Not as detailed as the moon pic from Toe but here is a High-Def photo of the red planet

Offline Shiela_M

• POY 2020, 2021, & 2022
  • Burnt at the stake
Reply #99 on: September 02, 2020, 04:28:51 AM
The little blue marble, not all that exciting  :roll: