MintJulie · 131375

Offline Well Behaved Lady

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +535/-8
Reply #100 on: September 04, 2017, 01:30:44 PM
Age does matter :roll:

_priapism

Reply #101 on: September 04, 2017, 07:45:54 PM
There is a small spring inside an opening, found on the inside edge of most headlights, that will permit you to "pop" the hood (bonnet) of your car, should the hood release break.  It can be accessed with a piece of bent coat-hanger and the opened.  Never knew.

IdleBoast

Reply #102 on: September 04, 2017, 07:49:10 PM
What "feening" means.

Offline JBRG

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +239/-2
Reply #103 on: September 05, 2017, 05:09:15 PM
I learned that the original activity regarding maritime enterprises conducted in Edward Lloyd's coffee house was gambling on what would happen to a ship on a particular voyage. After about 80 years or so, this gambling morphed into underwriting insurance and this enterprise turned into the brokerage known as Lloyd's of London.

Something I already knew is Lloyd's of London isn't an insurance company. Rather, it is a collection of firms that pool resources.

That is all.

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1344/-3
Reply #104 on: September 05, 2017, 06:58:32 PM
What "feening" means.
Me too, now.  I thought it was a typo :facepalm:

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

KitKat

Reply #105 on: September 05, 2017, 07:15:52 PM
What "feening" means.

Glad I could teach you guys something. See, I'm not as dumb as you think. ;)

ChirpingGirl

Reply #106 on: September 05, 2017, 07:58:03 PM
I learned there are no obstacles.  8)

;)

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3139/-41
Reply #107 on: September 05, 2017, 07:59:16 PM

What "feening" means.

Me, too.

I googled it, and it's a great word, especially in the context it was used here.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

KitKat

Reply #108 on: September 05, 2017, 08:02:01 PM
I learned there are no obstacles.  8)

;)

That depends... ;)

ChirpingGirl

Reply #109 on: September 05, 2017, 08:03:00 PM

Offline Katiebee

• Shield Maiden POY 2018
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +946/-14
  • Achieving world domination, one body at a time.
Reply #110 on: September 05, 2017, 08:06:08 PM
There are almost always obstacles. The trick is in learning how to overcome them.

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Offline msslave

• Co-POY 2019
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1344/-3
Reply #111 on: September 13, 2017, 09:22:48 PM
Met a new (to me) breed of dog today at the dog park.  It's a Bosnian dog called a Tornjak.

They were bred for protecting sheep herd and the shepherds. It's a big dog able to take down any sheep rustlers that may attack the shepherd.  To protect the sheep from wolves, there's a touch of wolf blood in the breed. (Note the narrow muzzle that's out of proportion to the broad head.)
The dog was very friendly, tho' the owner said it took a couple weeks to get used to other dogs at the park.  The Basset I take stood about level with the Tornjak's under belly. Hope we see more of him.

Well trained and been made compliant....by my cat Neville

KitKat

Reply #112 on: September 13, 2017, 09:25:35 PM
Wow! He's pretty. He looks hot. Somebody give him a bowl of water.

ChirpingGirl

Reply #113 on: September 16, 2017, 10:22:00 PM
I learned you can be on pain killers and tell a friend you wanna lick her sexy black ass because when she sweats it looks like yummy melting chocolate and she won't get offended.  :D

ChirpingGirl

Reply #114 on: September 16, 2017, 10:40:19 PM
 :emot_lickie: :emot_lickie: :emot_lickie: :emot_lickie: :emot_lickie: :emot_lickie: :emot_lickie: :emot_lickie: :emot_lickie: :emot_lickie: :emot_lickie: :emot_lickie: :emot_lickie: :emot_lickie: :emot_lickie: :emot_lickie: :emot_lickie: :emot_lickie:

:D

KitKat

Reply #115 on: September 16, 2017, 10:41:34 PM
WOW!

:o

ChirpingGirl

Reply #116 on: September 18, 2017, 11:46:20 PM
Never tell your child they'd be fine if you died.  :roll:

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3139/-41
Reply #117 on: September 20, 2017, 12:45:27 AM

I've long wondered why you can't by new cars online, why you never see dealerships that sell all makes and models of cars, and why you can't buy a car directly from the manufacturer.

I mean, wouldn't it make sense to go to Honda.com (for example), pick your model and all your add-ons and accessories, and then have it shipped, cutting out the middle man and saving hundreds if not thousands of dollars?

On last night's "Adam Ruins Everything" (my new favorite show) I found out why.

The reason is simple: It's the law. There are laws on the books in all 50 states that restrict new car sales to franchise dealerships that own the exclusive rights to sell a given brand (or series of brands) in a given territory. The rights grant the given dealership an exclusive monopoly over a given territory, and no other dealerships for that brand or brands is allowed within the territory. Thus guaranteeing -- by law -- that consumers must purchase new cars through these exclusive dealerships, and adding hundreds if not thousands of dollars to the price consumers have to pay.

All of which begs the question: Why? Why would states pass these anti-competitive, monopolistic laws? Why do they legally bar consumers from purchasing new cars at places other than dealerships? And why aren't new cars available for purchase online?

The reason -- as you've likely guessed -- is money. New car purchases contribute as much as 20% of all the sales tax revenues in every state, and states will never, ever do anything that might jeopardize that.

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1794/-23
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #118 on: September 20, 2017, 02:37:22 PM
I've wondered that myself.    I hate walking into a dealership and immediately being jumped on by a salesperson.    Same with a furniture store.    But of course, with both you need to try out the merchandise to see if it's comfortable.   

My boyfriend bought a new Durango about a year ago.  He couldn't get a loaner (he works for Chrysler), so prior to buying it he got one from Hertz car rental and drove it for 5 days to make sure he really liked it.   He then contacted the nearest dealership by phone, told a salesperson the color and features he wanted and they gave him his employee discount price. Once he cleared the credit process, he had them drive it to the house and handled all the paperwork there.     Obviously he doesn't like going to the dealership either.

Thank you for sharing this info, Miss Barb.  Very interesting.     I'll also be looking into "Adam Ruins Everything".

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline Well Behaved Lady

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +535/-8
Reply #119 on: October 06, 2017, 12:02:09 AM
I'm blocked from returning a pm. If you're reading this thank you for the sentiment.  I did try to reply.