Soccer

MintJulie · 56603

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1645/-56
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #980 on: February 09, 2023, 11:20:11 PM
Close one, Rick! I’ll bet Leeds are kicking themselves, giving up a two goal lead on the road!

Figures United would blow a sure win at home against Leeds. Least they were able to salvage a point. Like City, it seems United is trying to figure out a lineup involving veterans and newly acquired players.

Yep, we are #2 and you are #3 and we’re still complaining about our clubs and their recent performances! I don’t know if City are ever going to get back on track or not this season, we have more distractions than ever so who knows?!

I just saw an article today showing where City players will be going if City has to forfeit the season. Kind of a harsh penalty,
If it came down to that.

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline aussierules

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +60/-0
Reply #981 on: February 10, 2023, 05:54:57 AM
Close one, Rick! I’ll bet Leeds are kicking themselves, giving up a two goal lead on the road!

Figures United would blow a sure win at home against Leeds. Least they were able to salvage a point. Like City, it seems United is trying to figure out a lineup involving veterans and newly acquired players.

Those “articles” are pure bullshit, most top players have out clauses in their contracts if their team gets relegated - they won’t be designated to other clubs, like Haaland to Everton - for example. I’ve also read that it may take two to four years to resolve this issue so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I think Murray Rosen, KC has been appointed the lead for the PL committee investigating- he’s a member of Arsenal so no attempt at having neutral, non biased people in charge. I think all the big clubs have violated spending rules at some point, it feels like this is a case of the bigger clubs ganging up on City. Dirty business!

Yep, we are #2 and you are #3 and we’re still complaining about our clubs and their recent performances! I don’t know if City are ever going to get back on track or not this season, we have more distractions than ever so who knows?!

I just saw an article today showing where City players will be going if City has to forfeit the season. Kind of a harsh penalty,
If it came down to that.

Offline aussierules

• Pervert
Reply #982 on: February 10, 2023, 06:02:08 AM

Offline Dirtymind

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +135/-1
Reply #983 on: February 12, 2023, 05:28:13 PM

Frankly both should be stopped. I think the English game would benefit a lot by using the German model, where the majority of club ownership is in a fans' hands

Offline aussierules

• Pervert
Reply #984 on: February 12, 2023, 08:13:52 PM

Frankly both should be stopped. I think the English game would benefit a lot by using the German model, where the majority of club ownership is in a fans' hands

I can’t disagree that a majority fan ownership would be ideal but that ship has sailed in the PL. Too much money involved now to ever go back on the current system. In fact, money is all this dispute with City is about and don’t try and tell me that every single one of the clubs in the top half of the PL haven’t tried to push the financial rules to their advantage, every season. I read the other day that United have spent £1.5 Billion over the past ten years, by far the most in the PL - are you going to tell me that every penny of that money was spent fairly and within the rules?! Please! This is a witch-hunt, spurred by jealousy and a desire to knock down a successful rival.

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #985 on: February 13, 2023, 04:07:14 PM
Both Manchester clubs won yesterday. United breathing down City's neck in the standings.  ;D ;D

Offline aussierules

• Pervert
Reply #986 on: February 13, 2023, 04:17:24 PM
Both Manchester clubs won yesterday. United breathing down City's neck in the standings.  ;D ;D
Just as City are breathing down Arsenal’s neck! It’s a great league, if you ignore the people trying to run it!

Offline Clitical Thinking

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +431/-17
Reply #987 on: February 13, 2023, 04:19:58 PM
Newcastle are a sportswashing project by the Saudis, so I can't complain too much about the owners of any other club 😅

I will say that at least I'm happy they've taken a rather sensible approach, rather than just throwing together the 11 most expensive signings. They also recently bought back land around St. James Park that asset stripper Mike Ashley had sold.

Offline Dirtymind

• Total freak
    • Woos/Boos: +135/-1
Reply #988 on: February 13, 2023, 04:29:48 PM
A club should be run financially sustainably.  United was one of the best run clubs in the world before the Glazers came in.  It's been abused and neglected. But financially they could spend that on players in the last 10 years without any issue - things like merchandising etc etc make that possible.  Real Madrid spent 80 odd million on Ronaldo years back.  They made that back in merchandising sales within 48 hours. Southampton, who will go down this season - unless someone performs witchcraft, is one of the richest clubs in the EPL.  They will survive and come back.

Compare that with a club like Barca. They paid Messi  $674 million for his last 4 years.  Before next season they somehow have to get rid of 177 million in wages. They had to sell a heap of assets, and there's still no guarantee they will survive. Chelsea - spending 600 million in 2 transfer windows. It's not a question of if things goes wrong, it's when.

People aren't threatened by City's success. They're pissed because City had to resort to underhanded tactics.  The City project would have taken longer, but it could be just as successful. If any other club did that, the punishment should be the same.

Offline aussierules

• Pervert
Reply #989 on: February 21, 2023, 09:48:40 PM
A club should be run financially sustainably.  United was one of the best run clubs in the world before the Glazers came in.  It's been abused and neglected. But financially they could spend that on players in the last 10 years without any issue - things like merchandising etc etc make that possible.  Real Madrid spent 80 odd million on Ronaldo years back.  They made that back in merchandising sales within 48 hours. Southampton, who will go down this season - unless someone performs witchcraft, is one of the richest clubs in the EPL.  They will survive and come back.

Compare that with a club like Barca. They paid Messi  $674 million for his last 4 years.  Before next season they somehow have to get rid of 177 million in wages. They had to sell a heap of assets, and there's still no guarantee they will survive. Chelsea - spending 600 million in 2 transfer windows. It's not a question of if things goes wrong, it's when.

People aren't threatened by City's success. They're pissed because City had to resort to underhanded tactics.  The City project would have taken longer, but it could be just as successful. If any other club did that, the punishment should be the same.

I will reserve judgment and comment until the current accusations against City are resolved, one way or the other. I think every club has highly paid front office people who are trying to find ways to work around, through and despite the PL rules. The bigger the club, the more likelihood of financial shenanigans. As a City fan, I am assuming that some of the accusations are, in fact true but I think it would also be a bit naive to think there is no agenda going on here. I have read that after a four year investigation the PL has already dropped several charges, immediately after their announcement. Seems like they would would have their act together after four years of preparation but maybe I expect too much. Time will tell! On the whole, I agree with most of what you said above!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 10:20:25 PM by Aussierules »

Offline watcher1

• POY 2010
  • Burnt at the stake
  • Gentleman Pervert
Reply #990 on: March 06, 2023, 03:48:40 PM
City beat Newcastle on Saturday while United forgot how to play defense and was utterly embarrassed by Liverpool on Sunday.

Offline aussierules

• Pervert
Reply #991 on: March 06, 2023, 04:32:22 PM
City beat Newcastle on Saturday while United forgot how to play defense and was utterly embarrassed by Liverpool on Sunday.

The Liverpool-United scoreline was a shocker! I was more impacted by the last second Arsenal goal to beat Bournemouth. I thought City was finally going to make up some points but it wasn’t to be! With only 12 matches left, I don’t know if anyone can catch Arsenal this season. For my money, the PL continues to delivers quality entertainment!

Offline Clitical Thinking

• Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +431/-17
Reply #992 on: March 27, 2023, 04:46:59 PM
Interesting situation in Bayern. Nagelsmann was sacked. Many people feel that it's unfair he was sacked only because Bayern aren't running away with the league as usual, but of course there are other possible factors. I remember when he was hired, and there were already grumblings that some of the players might not respect him for his young age, or that the board might end up disliking him because he's not a conservative traditionalist in his attitude or approach (e.g. he likes to wear makeup supposedly) Then there was the issue with their old goalkeeping coach leaking things to the press supposedly, Neuer being publicly unhappy when the coach was fired, and players supposedly being unhappy that Nagelsmann's girlfriend is a reporter.

I believe having Tuchel available played a huge role in the decision, and I think Nagelsmann would still have his job if Tuchel had already signed with someone. Maybe even Conte looking like he was going to exist Spurs - which he did - played a role and Bayern worried that Tuchel might go there if Bayern didn't make him an offer first. I don't know, but I'm feeling like Bayern thought they'd solve several problems at once and have a proven manager for the future if they got Tuchel instead.

Offline MissBarbara

• Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +3139/-41
Reply #993 on: March 27, 2023, 07:01:17 PM

Joachim Löw is currently unemployed. Just sayin'

"Sometimes the best things in life are a hot girl and a cold beer."

Offline ObiDongKenobi

• Global Moderator
  • Freakishly Strange
    • Woos/Boos: +1687/-3
Reply #994 on: March 27, 2023, 07:21:23 PM

I read of Conte's exit here first  ;D

This is the BBC's list of possible successors. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65037269

Princess, would you like to see it light up and hum when I wave it about

Offline xXshepXx

• Pervert
    • Woos/Boos: +25/-0
Reply #995 on: April 01, 2023, 08:09:56 AM
Then there was the issue with their old goalkeeping coach leaking things to the press supposedly, Neuer being publicly unhappy when the coach was fired, and players supposedly being unhappy that Nagelsmann's girlfriend is a reporter.

Not just a reporter, but even a reporter from "Bild", the german equivalent of "The Sun".

I'm not okay, you're not okay. But hey, that's okay

Offline aussierules

• Pervert
Reply #996 on: April 01, 2023, 04:03:35 PM

Very nice performance by City today, 4-1 win over Liverpool at the Etihad. City playing without Haaland and Foden, too. Liverpool looked uninspired in the second half. Now if Arsenal can find a way to lose to Leeds, my weekend will be complete!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 04:43:43 PM by Aussierules »

Offline aussierules

• Pervert
Reply #997 on: April 01, 2023, 04:21:53 PM

Jack Grealish MOTM!

Offline MintJulie

• ~. Version Number 9.15.0 ~
  • Super Freak
  • Burnt at the stake
    • Woos/Boos: +1794/-23
  • Madame Sheriff
Reply #998 on: April 01, 2023, 05:39:02 PM
Is he better than Zava?

You might not know this, but I have a thing for Tom Brady (and Bill Clinton)
Version 9.15
POY 2016

Offline aussierules

• Pervert
Reply #999 on: April 01, 2023, 08:06:25 PM